Monday, April 22, 2013

Wait

Wait.

Hold on.

There are so many verses in the Bible, but in Psalms especially about waiting on the Lord.
Ps. 37:7- Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Ps. 27:14- Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.
Ps. 38:15- Lord, I wait for you; you will answer, Lord my God.
Ps. 40:1- I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.

All of these verses speak about waiting on the Lord for an answer or to hear my cry. The Christian life does not mean that I get all of my answers when I am saved or at some magical moment when I trust God more. He requires me to wait on Him, to seek answers for those questions that I wrestle with deep in my soul.

Did you see that? To get an answer, I must wait on the Lord. This doesn't mean He is ignoring me or that He doesn't care. It means that an all-mighty God who knows everything is gently trying to teach this broken sinner that everything in my spiritual life isn't easy. That I must wait, even for those answers that I am agonizing over.

He doesn't do that to me because He enjoys my pain over something that has happened to me, nor because He just wants me to sit around because He's God and He can do that. He does it so that I may be more patient. So that I trust Him more. So that I depend on Him more.

And why would I not willingly wait on my all-knowing God to give me the perfect answer I seek? Because I still fight daily with my sinful flesh. I care more about what it wants than about what God requires of me.
Romans 8:5-8 describes this.
5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

The reason why I don't want to wait patiently and why I often argue with God over waiting? I am too busy living according to my flesh. Verse 7 is even more convicting. When I am more concerned with my flesh, I cannot submit to God, and that includes waiting on His answers. How gracious is my God, that He does not cast me off when I am more concerned with my flesh than with His commands!

And so, even though I am highly impatient, I will wait on the Lord. I will wait for His answers to my burning questions. I will wait for His wisdom. I will wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment