Saturday, April 27, 2013

Forgiveness

Forgiveness.

This word holds both deep meaning and much learning for me, yet I am still continually amazed at how often I forget its importance. As a follower of Christ, this word has a meaning to me that I cannot even put into words, yet I still sometimes neglect to remember what exactly forgiveness has done for me.

Psalm 130:3-4

"If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you."

Acts 10:43
"All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

Acts 13:38-39
 "Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses. "

Do you see what all of these verses have in common, along with forgiveness? Sin. Sin requires the presence of forgiveness in order to move on and have a right relationship with anyone, but most especially with my Savior. The verse in Psalms is a balm to my soul in those moments when I am mired in guilt over my sin-sick flesh. With Him there is forgiveness, and an opportunity to serve Him with reverence. How merciful and gracious is our Heavenly Father who not only forgives my unpardonable sins, He also allows me to participate in His Kingdom's work! His forgiveness means everything. And what has this forgiveness done for me? It has changed me. It has challenged me. It has taught me. It is still continually doing all of these things and more to me as I grow in faith.

If my perfect Father can forgive me of all my sins, what gives me the right to hold on to silly grudges that will count as nothing in eternity? This is an especially hard lesson for me to learn because I am a proud person who does not like admitting defeat or being wrong. And saying sorry is even more difficult to me. Yet I know that as a follower of Christ, I am obligated to follow all of His commands, not just the ones I find easy to follow or the ones that I like. Jesus' words are not a store where I get to pick what I want to follow. He demands all or nothing.

I love the verse in Acts 13, where it says that we have been set free from every sin. Every sin. Is that not good news and cause for rejoicing? Every sin that so easily entangles me has no hold on me! It does not mean that I never sin. It simply means that sin no longer has a grip on me. It cannot bind me. It cannot enslave me. I am still daily battling with my flesh and my sin, yet I know that when I do sin, He is forgiving. He does not remember my sins, nor does He hold them against me. For that alone, I should forever worship Him, but He still goes beyond that. I am a redeemed sinner who is a work-in-progress, and my Holy God stills wants to guide and direct me so that I may tell others about this forgiveness that covers everything. There is nothing, no sin, no thought, no deed, no wish, no desire that God cannot forgive and use for His glory.

So because His forgiveness is all-encompassing and forever in use, I am required to show the same forgiveness and the same love to everyone around me. It's quite easy with those people that I love and enjoy being around. But His Gospel requires people to be uncomfortable. Forgiving can be quite uncomfortable, can't it? Especially with those people that annoy us. Or those people that we feel we deserve something from, like an apology or understanding. But Jesus requires us to show forgiveness to everyone, regardless of what emotions they make us feel. Unforgiveness oftentimes hurts the grudge-holder more than the person the grudge is against. Why? Because unforgiveness can hinder our relationship with God.

Jesus even spoke about this in the parable He told Peter in Matthew 18:21-35.


21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.
26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.
29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’
30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.
32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

The servant's unforgiveness reminds me so much of the times I have held onto my anger and my hurt over things that have happened, some of them that I should have had reason to want an apology for. Yet I still want full forgiveness from a holy God when I sin against Him. I cannot have it both ways. I must forgive, and I must forgive all.

And did you catch those last three words? From your heart. God knows quite well that giving lip service to forgiveness means nothing if our hearts are not behind it. He promises heavy retribution against His followers who do not forgive. Is it because He is unmerciful? Angry? Uncaring? Mean? No. It is because He has shown His followers the greatest example of forgiveness in all of history, and He has commanded us to follow it. How can I follow His command to love my neighbor, yet not forgive them when I get my feelings hurt or when I am angry? I must shed the worldly thoughts of grudges and revenge and put on the right thought of forgiveness. I cannot be a true follower of Christ and not conform to His image without always forgiving those who have wronged me and seeking forgiveness from those I have wronged.

So my dear friend, will you continue to hold on to unforgiveness and neutralize your ability to be used by our constantly forgiving God? Or will you make it a point to forgive readily and seek forgiveness whenever necessary? I choose forgiveness because I want to be a usable tool in the hands of my Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment